Feedback

Lange Dreef

Emmeloord

Georss_logo
Google-earth-icon
Add-to-my-tomtom

User Tags

votes: 1

Northeast polder

Client: Directie Wieringermeer

Designers: Cornelis van Eesteren

The polders of the IJsselmeer were drained in order to increase the acreage of agricultural land in the Netherlands. After a ring dike is constructed in 1940, it will be another two years before the reclamation of the Northeast polder, the second polder to be reclaimed, is completed.

In the context of plans to increase the amount of agricultural land for future generations, the land division plan and the system of roads, canals, waterways and villages is designed to optimise the use of the new land. The Zuiderzee Public Works Department, which is responsible for the master plan for the Northeast polder, decides that Emmeloord should be at the centre of the area. The smaller villages situated at road intersections, such as Tollebeek, Nagele, Luttelgeest and Marknesse, form a ring around Emmeloord. The planners decide on the location based on cycling distance.
The plans for forestation are drawn up once the land division plan and the infrastructure have been established. Beginning in 1938, a number of firms such as J.T.P. Bijhouwer, C. Pouderoyen, M.J. Granpré Molière and Piet Verhagen propose designs for the green spaces. Land that is unsuitable for agricultural purposes is developed into a recreational wooded area. And along the edge of the polder, lining connecting roads and dividing plots of line, a screen of trees is planted to act as a windbreak, creating a design in which lines of trees divide up the land into spatial compartments and roads are visible.

The opportunity to move to the new polder is only available to specific groups. The parcels of land with agricultural acreage are set aside for farmers, who first undergo a rigorous selection process. The Zuiderzee Public Works Department believes that the success of this controlled colonisation project entirely depends on the skill and competence of the farmers. The project is completed in 1962. 

Comments

No comments on this project yet.